Andrew is on the council of reference of South Bedfordshire Community Family Trust and is the President of the Leighton Buzzard branch of the Parkinson’s Disease Society and Patron of Leighton-Linslade Homeless Service, Patron of Homestart Central Bedfordshire and Leighton Buzzard Brain Tumour Action. He was a Territorial Army officer for twelve years and served in Germany, Cyprus, the Netherlands, Switzerland and the United States of America.
Andrew qualified as a chartered insurer and worked as a reinsurance underwriter before being elected to Parliament. His firm helped many of the world’s poorest communities recover from natural disasters.
Andrew supports local homeless charities by taking part in annual sponsored sleep-outs, most recently in the grounds of St Albans Abbey last December. Andrew is Patron of SIFT a development charity working with people in extreme poverty in Nicaragua. Andrew is also Patron of Reclaim Life in Leighton Buzzard.
Andrew Selous’ Experience:
- Elected to Parliament for South West Bedfordshire in 2001, he served on the Work and Pensions select committee for the whole of that Parliament.
- In 2003 he was appointed parliamentary private secretary to the Deputy Leader of the Conservative Party and the Shadow Foreign Secretary, the Rt Hon Michael Ancram QC MP.
- In 2004 he was appointed an opposition whip
- In 2006 he was appointed a shadow work and pensions minister. He has taken the Child Poverty Bill, the Child Maintenance and Other Payments Bill and the Health and Safety Offences Bill through the House of Commons.
- In 2010 he was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary to The Rt Hon Iain Duncan Smith MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions.
- In 2014 Andrew was appointed Minister for prisons and rehabilitation as Parliamentary under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Justice. He left the post in July 2016.
- In November 2016 he was elected to serve on the Health Select Committee.
He has also been made a Relate Ambassador and Andrew is a Trustee of The Butler Trust, an organisation that promotes best practice in prisons.