My motivation for being a Member of Parliament is that I love my country and want to serve it. It is a huge privilege to be able to represent my constituents in Parliament and I get an enormous amount of satisfaction from trying to solve the problems my constituents bring to me. It is also an honour to be able to campaign for improvements that will help the whole of South West Bedfordshire.
My Christian faith inspires me in much of what I do in Parliament. I campaign in Parliament on many different issues from human trafficking to the A5-M1 link (Dunstable Northern Bypass) and from climate change to the need for a community hospital in Leighton Buzzard. I have always had a passion for trying to strengthen families and prevent family breakdown and have helped set up a Community Family Trust which aims to give people skills and support to strengthen marriages and family relationships.
- Love of family, spouse, partner, children, community, locality and country should be at the heart of all we do.
- Home ownership and secure affordable tenancies are the foundation of family stability.
- The first duty of the government is to keep its people safe at home and abroad.
- Ladders of opportunity are needed through the provision of excellent schools, colleges, apprenticeships and universities where aspiration is nurtured, and meritocracy can flourish.
- Stewardship of our natural environment globally is vital, preserving and enhancing it for future generations.
- Thriving businesses are essential for the creation of wealth to pay for the public services we value. The purpose of prosperity is to provide for everyone.
- A socially just society is an indispensable part of a vigorous market economy, where those unable to look after themselves are valued for their innate worth.
These are some of my core beliefs and values I told true as a Member of Parliament. Hopefully it will give you a greater understanding to what I strive to achieve, both in the Commons and locally in South West Bedfordshire.