I know the Government is always looking at ways to maximise the number of people claiming Pension Credit. I support their commitment to ensuring that everybody claims their full entitlement.
I am encouraged by the latest Pension Credit take-up estimates (for the financial year ending 2020), which show the take-up of Pension Credit at its highest level since 2010.
To further raise awareness of Pension Credit and increase uptake, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) launched a £1.2m nationwide communications campaign in April 2022. The campaign included:
• the promotion of Pension Credit on social media, via internet search engines and sponsored advertising on targeted websites that pensioners, their friends and family are likely to visit;
• information screens in Post Offices and GP surgeries across Great Britain;
• advertising in regional and national newspapers and on national and local broadcast radio;
• advertising on the sides of buses, interior bus panels and digital street displays;
• leaflets and posters in Jobcentres, as well as digital versions that could be used by stakeholders and partners across local communities;
• engagement with Local Authorities nationwide through the Government Communication Service local network and promotional materials to enable them to support the campaign;
• a second Pension Credit awareness media ‘day of action’ in June 2022 working in close collaboration with broadcasters, newspapers and other partners such as Age UK, Independent Age and the private sector to reach out to pensioners to promote Pension Credit through their channels; and
• an updated digital toolkit with information and resources that any stakeholder can use to help promote Pension Credit.
This campaign continued in December 2022, with press and radio advertising, as well as via social media channels.
In 2023, DWP will again write to over 11 million pensioners as part of the annual uprating of State Pensions. The accompanying leaflet has been updated to include the prominent campaign messaging promoting Pension Credit.